2007-07-20

Singing About Sailing (2007-07-14/17)

Sunday I noticed that many of my recently-purchased songs mentioned sailing. Beginning with the songs iTunes says I play most, below are my favorites:
  1. Blue October, "Into the Ocean", Foiled

    Now waking to the sun I calculate what I had done
    Like jumping from the bow (yeah)
    Just to prove that I knew how (yeah)
    It’s midnight’s late reminder of
    The loss of her the one I love
    My will to quickly end it all
    Sat front row in my need to fall
    Into the ocean end it all
    Into the ocean end it all
    "Into the Ocean" is the top of my list because I like the happy tune (despite the sad lyrics) and rapid verses. It's not merely the mention of flotsam and jetsam that leads me to like it.
  2. Crosby, Stills & Nash, "Southern Cross", Daylight Again

    When you see the Southern Cross for the first time,
    You understand now why you came this way.
    "Southern Cross" often goes through my mind while sailing, as my quote in an earlier post might suggest. Seeing the southern cross would be new and adventurous.
  3. Fleetwood Mac, "Landslide", Fleetwood Mac

    "Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?" is the only reference to sailing, but nevertheless "Landslide" is one of my melancholy favorites. I especially like the character of Stevie Nicks' voice.
  4. Mark Knopfler, "Sailing To Philadelphia", Sailing To Philadelphia

    Now hold your head up, Mason
    See America lies there
    The morning tide has raised
    The capes of Delaware
    Come up and feel the sun
    A new morning is begun
    Another day will make it clear
    Why your stars should guide us here
    I've mentioned my folk rock guitar interest, including Dire Straits, James Taylor, and Mark Knopfler. In addition to guitar, "Sailing To Philadelphia" includes both James Taylor and Mark Knopfler.
  5. Christopher Cross, "Sailing", Christopher Cross

    And if the wind is right
    You can sail away
    To find serenity
    Oh the canvas can do miracles
    Just you wait and see
    The mellow music and lyrics of this song come to mind when there's little to do but enjoy the wind and water. A breeze and gentle rocking is relaxing.
  6. Styx, "Come Sail Away", Come Sail Away - The Styx Anthology

    Come sail away, come sail away
    Come sail away with me
    Like "Southern Cross", "Landslide", "Sailing", and "Cool Change", "Come Sail Away" is a sailing song of my childhood. It rocks.
  7. Little River Band, "Cool Change", Little River Band: Greatest Hits (Expanded Edition)

    Well I was born in the sign of water
    And it's there that I feel my best
    The albatross and the whales they are my brothers
    It's kind of a special feeling
    When you're out on the sea alone
    Staring at the full moon, like a lover
    I was actually born in a fire sign, and rarely go out to sea, or sail alone. However, I do find sailing produces a special feeling.

1 comment:

ma_ryan79 said...

You didn't mention the Billy Joel one about the Downeaster Alexa. Was that not on your list?