2005-05-13

Listening to Garden State soundtrack (2004-07)

Ryan and I saw the film Garden State with dear friends and liked it, but I like its soundtrack even more (a sample is available). Ryan bought the CD for me. I especially like these songs:
  • Frou Frou, "Let Go"
  • Cary Brothers, "Blue Eyes"
  • Colin Hay "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You"
  • Remy Zero, "Fair"
  • Simon & Garfunkel, "The Only Living Boy in New York"
We've heard "Blue Eyes" on Seattle's 103.7 The Mountain KMTT. While I very much like "Let Go" (despite not understanding its meaning), the other songs have more guitar, earning them a place in my current favorite folk rock guitar music:
  • Remy Zero, "Fair"
  • Simon & Garfunkel, "The Sound of Silence"
  • Indigo Girls, "Least Complicated"
  • Simon & Garfunkel, "The Only Living Boy in New York"
  • Cary Brothers, "Blue Eyes"
  • Simon & Garfunkel, "Song for the Asking"
  • Cat Stevens, "Morning Has Broken"
  • Simon & Garfunkel, "For Emily, Whenever I may Find Her"
  • Colin Hay, "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You"
  • Simon & Garfunkel, "Kathy's Song"
  • Indigo Girls, "Power of Two"
  • Simon & Garfunkel, "America"
  • Cat Stevens, "The Wind"
  • Simon & Garfunkel, "Homeward Bound"
  • James Taylor, "Fire and Rain"
  • Simon & Garfunkel, "Mrs. Robinson"
  • Kings of Convenience, "Homesick"
  • Simon & Garfunkel, "I Am a Rock"
  • Kings of Convenience, "Cayman Islands"
  • Simon & Garfunkel, "The 59th Street Bridge Song"
  • Kings of Convenience, "Surprise Ice"
I'd love to learn to play these--or even the first (easiest) five of these--on the guitar. Later I would like to learn Eagles "Seven Bridges Road", Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" or "Walk of Life", or songs from Afro Celt Soundsystem, CSNY, Fleetwood Mac, Gypsy Kings, Mark Knopfler, or Paul Simon.

While writing of the Kings of Convenience, I'll note that their "I'd Rather Dance with You" video is cute. It is available in several places.

No comments: