2005-05-11

Anticipating SIFF (2005-05-11)

Why see these films? I like parties, so I want to attend the Gala Presentations. The opening night is Me and You and Everyone We Know. See below on The Dying Gaul and Cote D'Azur. Red Dust is from Africa (though South Africa, not Kenya or Tanzania where I vacationed). I'm anticipating understanding the Spanish in Bombon, el Perro, part of a program from Argentina. I like Gus Van Sant (particularly My Own Private Idaho, To Die For, Good Will Hunting, and Finding Forrester, but I've also seen Mala Noche and Drugstore Cowboy). I imagine I'll like his closing night film Last Days.

The Secret Festival has been a nice opportunity to see films no longer available, films that "premiere" elsewhere, and films not yet finished. I've bought this membership regularly.

My childhood and boyhood drama involved dying and rejecting mothers. I like to see how other people might grow up. Saint Ralph might have had more reason to be bitter. My friends say I'm a geek--not a dork--so The Night of the Living Dorks could be entertaining. The teens in Mysterious Skin might have had more drama.

My teens and 20s didn't include "coming out" or sexual exploration, so Summer Storm and Last Full Show (part of the Seriously Gay short film package) might show me what I missed. No one expressed suspicions that I was gay (though if I must have a label I prefer "bisexual"), unlike the families in Rice Rhapsody and Cote d'Azur.

The youth in Rock School may have had opportunities I didn't. I like music, so I'm anticipating enjoying the Rock School Jam as well. The Jam is at Neumos. (I heard United State of Electronica there. Alas! The Kings of Convenience show there sold out before I bought a ticket.)

We saw The Dying Gaul as a play at Intiman Theatre a few years ago, so I'm interested to see how it is as a movie. We saw Daniel Brühl in Good Bye Lenin! and are excited to see him again in Ladies in Lavender.

"God made Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve," they said in the church of my boyhood. Ronda Nocturna is a gay drama from Spanish-speaking Argentina, Inlaws & Outlaws is a gay documentary from Seattle, Rice Rhapsody is a gay comedy from Hong Kong, and Tropical Malady is a gay drama from Thailand. That's variety!--if you're gay. Dreamship Surprise - Period 1 may be campy but I understand it entertained a large German audience.

Finally, the special archival presentation of The Circus had high recommendations at the SIFF preview. (The public preview was at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park.)

No comments: