2007-04-23

Avoiding HFCS (2007-01/04)

Although my weight has dropped more than a pound per week in the last three months, I consider myself to be "eating healthy" and exercising rather than "on a diet." I have attempted to add foods to my diet rather than to avoid foods. I consume more fatty fish, walnuts, flaxseeds, green leafy vegetables, olive oil, fruits, and red wine. I also eat more often (albeit smaller meals).

However, there are a few large exceptions, ingredients I avoid in foods. These include caffeine after noon, trans fats ("there is no safe level"), and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Avoiding these requires reading nutritional labels--a surprising number of foods (especially breads) contain HFCS. When my avoidance of HFCS brings questions, I generally summarize by saying that it's an unnatural (highly processed) result of political pressure. This article explains more fully.

No comments: